Thursday, June 20, 2013

Julbo saves the day! They just may save your day too :)

By now you have hopefully read my recent posts about my Beautiful Failure and my Ugly Success on Mt. Sneffels. On my first attempt, I was naive about the importance of appropriate eye wear. I normally wear glasses and rarely wear contacts, so the thought of having a pair of expensive sunglasses seemed ridiculous to me. While packing up for the trip, I knew sunglasses would be important since we would be climbing in the snow at elevation, so I casually grabbed a pair of cheap-o gas station sunglasses to bring with thinking they would be adequate. Boy was I wrong....

Trip #1 - Already hurting

On the day of our climb, my eyes just were not doing well. I had a pounding headache and my eyes wouldn't stop watering. It hurt just to keep them open. I had thought that it was just irritation from my contacts because I wear them so infrequently. Because of that, my partner and I decided that it would be best just to head back (while I could still see) so I could take my contacts out and just call the climb a bust. We got down and packed up camp with plans of heading into town and drowning our sorrows from the failed climb in a few drinks before leaving CO. I had assumed that once my contacts were out, the pain would go away. Despite taking my contacts out and repeatedly rinsing my eyes with saline, the pain got worse. We ended up driving to Montrose to grab a bite to eat and get a drink and by the time we arrived I was so sensitive to the sunlight that I couldn't open my eyes without experiencing extremely sharp pain. And when we walked out of the dark restaurant I was instantly blinded the sun and knew something was seriously wrong. So off to the Emergency Room we went.

After some torturous tests followed by some much needed pain meds and numbing eye drops, the doc came back and diagnosed me with UV Keratitis. Basically the sun had burned my corneas. After getting back I had talked to my friend Melissa at Adventure Tykes, who informed me that cheap sunglasses can be worse than not even wearing sunglasses at all. And my main climbing partner Scott, aka The Alpine Hack, has been wearing Julbo's forever and constantly tells me how amazing they are. So in my weakened state, I reached out to Julbo asking for help. I wanted to see if their sunglasses were all that they were cracked up to be. Fortunately for me (and you too! Keep reading!), they were kind enough to send me a pair of a MonteRosa's to try out. 



Julbo MonteRosa

I was stoked to get back on Sneffels again, this time with appropriate eye wear. And after making it up to the summit with my sight in tact and without pain, I was sold! The MonteRosa's are a female specific frame and come with removable side shields. My sunglasses came equipped with Spectron 4 lenses, which are appropriate for mountain environment, use on the water or in bright sunlight. They are so dark that Julbo actually advises against driving with them on though. Julbo has many, many, many lens options available in varying prices; with even the cheapest options blocking out 100% of UVA, B and C rays. They carry frames suitable for everything from infants and children to performance sunglasses for running and cycling to mountain glasses for high altitude sun protection.

Happy Eyes!

A few more things I absolutely loved about my Julbo MonteRosa's.... The frames fit comfortably around the ears with my climbing helmet on. When wearing my climbing helmet for 12ish hours this was extremely important. The removable side shields were very useful. On the approach hike in when my glasses kept fogging up, removing the side shields provided instant ventilation. On the climb, putting the side shields back on provided extra protection from harsh sunlight reflecting off the snow. 

At the end of the day I'm now a huge believer in quality eye protection from the sun. If I would've listened to The Alpine Hack earlier and invested $100 in a pair of sunglasses, I could have spared myself an expensive ER visit and a lot of pain. Don't learn your lesson the hard way like I did. To save one fortunate reader from a similar peril, Julbo has offered up a rad looking pair of Tensing sunglasses to give away. So do yourself a favor and protect those precious eyes. Enter today using the rafflecopter app below, 1 lucky winner will be notified by email next week after contest ends so make sure your contact info is correct. Good luck!





25 comments:

thealpinehack said...

next step are Falcon or Camel lenses!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl said...

Wow! I have never heard of UV Keratitis or thought possible. I am glad you are okay. and there was no permanent damage. glad to now know, its okay to invest in some some pricey sunglasses for outdoor play.

Heather Gannoe said...

I am the WORST at remembering to wear sunglasses. Maybe its because I don't have a pair as awesome as those! My eyes need some love, lol

Rachel said...

My boyfriend has a pair of julbos and he loves them!

Aimee said...

The monterosas are sweet.

Beth Bault said...

I need to win, you know, so I can climb Sneffels. It taunts me from this library window. :-)

Tanya Koob said...

wow, glad your eyes are ok!

Jen Small said...

well Haley I had no idea that this could happen thank you for an important the post!!!

Love th DIRT glasses in white!

Casey Small said...

Jen told me about this. wow!!

i like the Instinct.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Those Tensings are hot-looking!

Princessliak said...

My favorites are those that are on sale! Typically Ironman...

Teresa Millstone said...

My favorite is the Whoops.

Sades said...

I am always guilty of buying the cheapo gas station sunglasses. I would love a pair of Dirts for riding in the Central Wa sun.

Mike and Leslie said...

Loving those Julbo Ultra's in Anthracite/Lime :) Awesome giveaway!!

Jessica said...

I lke the kids solan

Kelly Craig said...

Thank you so much for the post. Would love to own this pair. On top of the protection love the colors!

Eyeline - Eyewear in India said...

Super stylish pairs of sunglasses .. :)

John Soltys said...

Probably better than m $15 Target glasses, huh?

skinpoetryphotography said...

My favourite sunglasses are the ones that are shiny, don't show your eyes, and reflect the world around you. They are great for photographs!

jriggins said...

Good thing you were able to go back and make the summit

Colorado Mountain Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colorado Mountain Mom said...

Holy cow, that's quite a story! The Monte Rosas you tried look great. Also really like a couple from their travel series, the Tour and Slick.

My kids have Julbos and I agree they are excellent. Poor mom doesn't have a pair, though... I'd love to win these! :)

Mari said...

I like the Marquises.

runningmatey at hotmail dot com


Laurel C said...

I like the Julbo Ultra's!

Shachi Sharma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.